433 Bryan Hall
Office Hours: T and W 12:00 - 1:45
Class Schedule: T 2:00 – 4:30, W 2:00 - 4:30
American Poetry and Poetics, Ecopoetics and Environmental Humanities, Feminist Theory, Queer Theory, Small Press Publishing
M.F.A. Indiana University, 2000
B.A. University of Alabama, 1997
B.A. University of Alabama, 1997
Doomstead Days, Nightboat Books, 2019
The Empty Form Goes All the Way to Heaven, Ahsahta Press, 2015
Companion Grasses, Omnidawn Publishing, 2013
Pleasure, Ahsahta Press, 2010
Sight Map, University of California Press, 2009
The Room Where I Was Born, University of Wisconsin Press, 2003
Headlands Quadrats, DoubleCross Press, 2018
[ black sun crown ], FactSimile Press, 2013
Helplessness, GoodMorning Menagerie,2013
Sore Eros: Poems & Lyric Essays, Floating Wolf Quarterly, 2013
Paradise Was Typeset, DoubleCross Press, 2012
Transcendental Grammar Crown, Woodland Editions, 2006
Pilgrim, palOmine Press, 2004
POEMS PUBLISHED IN
Boston Review, Colorado Review, Denver Quarterly, Gulf Coast, Journal of Medical Humanities, Kenyon Review, Los Angeles Review of Books, New American Writing, New England Review, Ploughshares, Verse, Virginia Quarterly Review, VOLT, and elsewhere.
ANTHOLOGIZED WORK IN
- More Truly & More Strange: 100 Contemporary Self-Portrait Poems (forthcoming, Persea Books, 2020).
- The Mind of : 50 Contemporary Poets on Jefferson (University of Virginia Press, 2016).
- The Echoing Green: Poems of Fields, Meadows, and Grasses (Alfred A. Knopf, 2016).
- The Arcadia Project: North American Postmodern Pastoral (Ahsahta Press, 2012).
- Collective Brightness: LGBTIQ Poets on Faith, Religion and Spirituality (Sibling Rivalry Press, 2011).
- Beauty Is a Verb: The New Poetry of Disability (Cinco Punto Press, 2011).
- Legitimate Dangers: American Poets of the New Century (Sarabande Books, 2006).
SELECTED ESSAYS, ARTICLES, REVIEWS
- “Martha Ronk’s Distressed Lyrics.” North American Women Poets in the 21st Century: Beyond Lyric and Language. Eds. Kazim Ali and Lisa Sewell (Middletown: Wesleyan University Press, 2019, forthcoming).
- “The Earth is Full of Men.” 21|19 : Contemporary Poets in the Nineteenth-Century Archive Eds. Kristen Case and Alexandra Manglis (Minneapolis: Milkweed Editions, 2019).
- “The Apophatic Pilgrim: Simone Weil and Fanny Howe.” Quo Anima: innovation and spirituality in contemporary women’s poetry Eds. Jennifer Phelps and Elizabeth Robinson (Akron: University of Akron Press, 2019).
- “The Good Life: A Valediction of Ecopoetry,” in Harriet: A Poetry Blog (January 29, 2019).
- “En Plein Air in Harriet: A Poetry Blog (January 21, 2019).
- “Textual Preference,” in Harriet: A Poetry Blog (January 14, 2019).
- “On the Brink: On the Centenary of Robert Duncan’s Birth,” in Harriet: A Poetry Blog” (January 2, 2019).
- “How to Be a Dandy in the Age of Mass Culture: Notes on Taylor Mac’s A 24-Decade History of Popular Music," Kimmel Center for Performing Arts (August 24, 2018).
- “’To Weave Ever Themes of Love’: New Narrative and the Berkeley Renaissance.” From Our Hearts to Yours: New Narrative as Contemporary Practice. Eds. Rob Halpern and Robin Tremblay-McGaw (Oakland: On Contemporary Practice, 2017).
- “Four letters from one window, Philadelphia, February 2014: On Kathleen Fraser’s Wing.” Dear Kathleen: On the Occasion of Kathleen Fraser's 80th Birthday. Eds. Susan Gevirtz & Stephen Motika (Callicoon: Nightboat Books, 2017).
- “The Best Job on Earth: On the Poetry of C. D. Wright,” in Harriet: A Poetry Blog (January 12, 2017).
- “Into Openness: An Interview with Jean Valentine,” Los Angeles Review of Books (November 28, 2015).
- “Reading Carson Reading Brontë RE: the Soul’s Difficult Sexual Destiny.” Anne Carson: Ecstatic Lyre. Ed. Joshua Marie Wilkinson (Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press, 2015).
- “Guest Review: Bhanu Kapil’s Ban en banlieue,” On the Seawall (April 15, 2014).
- “My grandmother’s name was Lorine.” The Force of What’s Possible: Writers on Accessibility and the Avant-Garde. Ed. Lily Hoang and Joshua Marie Wilkinson (Callicoon: Nightboat Books, 2014).
- “The Marriage of Granite and Rainbow: A Biography of Robert Duncan,” Boston Review (November 7, 2013).
- “Spectral Evidence: Archive & Afterlife.” Common-place: The Journal of the American Antiquarian Society, 12.3 (April 2012).
- “‘The History/of the World Without Words’: Mysticism and Social Conscience in the Poetry of Jean Valentine.” This-World Company: On the Poetry of Jean Valentine. Eds. Kazim Ali and John Hoppenthaler (Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press, 2012).
- “Everything Comes Close: On Eileen Myles’ Snowflake/Different Streets,” Los Angeles Review of Books (August 24th, 2012).
- “’There is no strict personal order//for my inheritance.’” “Q&A: American Poetry.” Ed. Brett Fletcher Lauer. Poetry Society of America (July 19, 2010).
- “Our Dionysian Experiment: Three Theses on the Poetry of Thom Gunn.” At the Barriers: The Poetry of Thom Gunn. Ed. Josh Weiner (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2009).
- “Revelation: The Collected Poems of Barbara Guest,” Boston Review, 34.1 (January/February 2009).
- “Whole New World: Alice Notley’s Grave of Light,” Boston Review, 32.1 (January/February 2007).
- Woodberry Poetry Room Creative Grant (Harvard University), 2019-20
- MacDowell Colony Fellowship, 2016
- Henry David Thoreau Environmental Writing Fellowship (Vermont Studio Center), 2016
- Pew Fellowship in the Arts, 2015-17
- Finalist,Kingsley Tufts Poetry Award, 2014
- Fund for Poetry Award, 2013
- American Antiquarian Society Visiting Fellowship for Historical Research, 2011
- Artist in Residence, Headlands Center for the Arts, 2011
- Lambda Literary Award for Gay Male Poetry, 2010
- Pavement Saw Press Chapbook Prize, 2009
- Gertrude Stein Award for Innovative Poetry, 2006
- Residency, MacDowell Colony, 2005
- Winner, Thom Gunn Award for Gay Poetry, 2004
- Literature Fellowship, National Endowment for the Arts, 2003
- Brittingham Prize (University of Wisconsin Press), 2003
- MacDowell Colony Fellowship, 2003
- Phillip Roth Residency in Creative Writing (Bucknell University), 2003
- Wallace E. Stegner Fellowship (Stanford University), 2000-02