19th C British, 20th C British, Modernism, Visual Studies
- Ph.D. U.C. Berkeley, 1976
- M.A. U.C. Berkeley, 1973
- B.A. Stanford University, 1971
- What Should I Read Next?, University of Virginia Press, 2008
- Victorian Modernism, Cambridge University Press, 2003
- Gender on the Divide: The Dandy in Modernist Literature, Ithaca: Cornell University Press, 1993
- "Ruskin's Minerals." Field Notes vol 1, issue 4, Winter 2006. 12-15.
- “‘A Talent for the Disagreeable’: Elizabeth Stoddard Writes The Morgesons.” Nineteenth-Century Literature, 58: 2, September 2003, 202-229.
- "Modernism's Victorian Bric-a-brac," Modernism/Modernity, Fall, 2001.
- "A Shelter of the Mind: Henry, William, and the Domestic Scene" in The Cambridge Companion to William James, ed. Ruth Anna Putnam, Cambridge University Press, 1995.
- "A Shelter of the Mind: Henry, William, and the Domestic Scene", The Cambridge Companion to Modern Philosophers: William James. Cambridge University Press, 1997.
- "The Dandy," in Gay Histories and Cultures II 2nd ed.George E. Haggerty, ed. Garland Publishing, 1998. (encyclopedia entry)
- Peter Read, Picasso & Apollinaire: The Persistence of Memory, Modernism/Modernity (forthcoming)
- Vineta Colby , Vernon Lee: A Literary Biography. English Literature in Transition, 47.2 , Spring, 2004
- Kari Weil, Androgyny and the Denial of Difference Modern Philology 93:1, August, 1995, 194-201
- Ann L. Ardis, Modernism and Cultural Conflict, 1880-1922, Nineteenth-Century Literature, 58.3, January 2004
Papers and Talks
- Invited talk: “Ruskin’s Minerals,” Bard College, 2005
- “Stein Remembers Ruskin” 2004 Modernist Studies Convention
- “House of Cards,@ English Department Colloquium, 2002
- Organized Panel Discussion, "A Victorian Modernism," Modern Studies Association, Rice University, October 2001
- "Roadside Saints: Ruskin, Cather, and the Modern Studies Association," Rice University, October 2001
- "Hanging-Together: Ruskin's Philosophy of Affect," Modern Studies Association Conference, University of Pennsylvania, October 2000
- "Francesca's Cabinet: Ruskin's Tender Disciplines," Comparative Literature Association, Yale University, 2000.
- "Augusta Evans Wilson's Decadent Art," Modern Studies Association Conference, Penn. State, 1999
- "Ruskin's Victorian Modernism," Invited Expert; Modern Studies
Association Conference, Penn. State, 1999
- "Sentimental Rossetti," Modern Language Association Annual Meeting, 1998
- "Lotus-eating in a Cage: Elizabeth Stoddard among the Genteel Poets," 19th-century American Women Writers Conference, Trinity College, Hartford, Connecticut, 1996
- "Bringing the War Home: Willa Cather and Modernism," Narrative Conference, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee, 1992
- "Telling a Life" Psychology Dept. Women's Caucus 1997
- "William James at the Fin-de-Siècle," Faculty Lecture, April, 1996
- "Excellent Women: Some Oxford Writers," "Essential Oxford" Program, Trinity College, Oxford, August 1994
- "Alison Booth's Famous Last Words," Faculty Book Series Panel, 1994
- "Does Literary Value Supersede Other Values?", English Department Faculty Colloquium, 1993
- "Virginia Woolf and World War I," talk and discussion, Center for the Study of Liberal Arts, Secondary School Teachers Program, 1993
Fellowships and Awards
- Phi Beta Kappa Book Award, Beta Chapter, 1994, for Gender on the Divide: The Dandy in Modernist Literature
- Sesquicentennial Faculty Associateship, Center for Advanced Studies, 1994-1995; Spring, 2002
- Alma Gibbs Donchian Foundation Award 1994 (funds to English Department)
- Lilly Teaching Fellowship, 1993-1994
- University of Virginia Summer Research Fellowships, 1993, 1995, 1996
- University of California Regents Fellowship, 1975-1976
- Phi Beta Kappa, 1970