Linden Kent Memorial Professor
438 Bryan Hall
Office Hours: T/Th 2-3:30
Class Schedule: T/Th 9:30-10:45, 12:30-1:45
19th C British, Novel
Ph.D. Stanford University, 1979
M.A. Stanford University, 1977
B.A. (Summa Cum Laude) University of California, Los Angeles, 1973
The Victorians and Old Age, Oxford University Press, 2009
Middlemarch in the Twenty-First Century, Cambridge, 2006
The Spectacle of Intimacy, Princeton University Press, 2000
Middlemarch, Cambridge University Press, 1991
- “Bleak House, Liquid City: Climate to Climax in Dickens” A Global History of Literature and the Environment, eds. John Parham and Louise Westling (Cambridge University Press, 2017): 201-217
- “Where to Breathe in Gissing’s London,” Proceedings from International Conference on Modernist Literature, (Shanghai: Shanghai Foreign Language Education Press, forthcoming).
- “[E]motion in the Nineteenth Century: A Culture of Fidgets” 19: Interdisciplinary Studies in the Long Nineteeth-Century 19 (2014). [Peer Reviewed, digital publication].
- “Betwixt and Between: Mrs. Gummidge’s ‘homely rapture,’” Victorian Review 39.2 (2013): 68-71.
- “Senile Sexuality,” in Interdisciplinary Perspectives on Ageing in Nineteenth-Century Culture, eds. Katharina Boehm, Anna Farkas, and Anne Zwierlein (Routledge, 2013): 132-146.
- “'Happiness is Not a Potato:' The Victorian Cultivation of Happiness,” Nineteenth-Century Contexts 33.2 (May 2011): 161-169.
- “The Coming of Age II,” Journal of Victorian Culture 16.1 (April 2011): 128-131.
- "Green Dickens," (co-author Michael Levenson) Essays in Honor of Steven Marcus, ed. Eileen Gillooly (The Ohio State University Press, 2009): 131-151.
- “Love, Guilt and Reparation,” in What Should I Read Next? Eds. Jessica Feldman and Robert Stilling (The University Press of Virginia, 2008)
- "Mayhew, The Prince and the Poor: The Great Exhibition" (co-author Michael Levenson) Victorian Prism, Eileen Gilooly et al., eds. (University Press of Virginia, 2006).
- "Queen Victoria," (co-author Michael Levenson) entry for the Encyclopedia of British Literary History, ed. Nancy Armstrong (Oxford University Press, 2005).
- "George Eliot and the Woman Question"; "George Eliot and Feminist Approaches" Oxford Reader's Companion to George Eliot, ed. John Rignall, Oxford University Press (1998).
- "On the Parapets of Privacy," (co-author Michael Levenson) in A Companion to Victorian Literature and Culture, ed. Herbert Tucker (Blackwell's, 1998).
- "I never saw a man so frightened: The Young Queen and the Parliamentary Bedchambers" in Queen Victoria and the Making of Victorian Cultures, ed. M. Homans and A. Munich, Cambridge University Press, (1998) (co-author Michael Levenson).
- "Jane Eyre's Interior Design," reproduced from Eros and Psyche in New Casebook on Jane Eyre, (Macmillan, 1997).
- "'Bad was My Commentary': Propriety, Madness, Independence in Feminist Literary History," in Victorian Connections, ed. Jerome McGann (1989).
- "The Kindness of Consanguinity: Family History in Henry Esmond," Modern Language Studies (Summer, 1986).
- "The Modern Family and the Ancient Image in Romola," Dickens Studies Annual 14 (Fall 1985).
- "The Literal Heroine: A Study of Gissing's The Odd Women," Criticism 26 (Summer 1984), pp. 231-244.
Lectures and Presentations
- “Shaping Eyre”: A Discussion of Adaptations of Jane Eyre, with Patricia Park and Barbara Heritage, Rotunda, University of Virginia, March 23, 2017
- “The Vagaries of Wink,” Interdisciplinary Nineteenth Century Studies Conference, Philadelphia, March 16-19, 2017
- “Wynkin, Blynkin, and Nod” Medicine and Modernity, St. Anne’s College, Oxford University, September 10-11, 2016.
- “A Touch of the Fidgets,” Victorian Tactile Imagination Conference, Birkbeck College, London, July 19-20 2013
- “Aging Senses, Heightened Sensibilities: The Shape of Late Life,” Endowed Chair Lectures, University of Virginia, April 16, 2013
- “Dickens and The Comedy of Humours,” Pain and Old Age, Birkbeck College, London, November 27, 2012 (Podcast: http://www.bbk.ac.uk/history/our-research/birkbeckpainproject/events)
- “Celebrating Dickens at 200” Smithsonian Institute (with Michael Levenson), September 20, 2012
- “Partial, Partial Portraits,” Picturing the Nineteenth Century, INCS, University of Kentucky, March 2012
- “Beginning with the Middle and the Muddle,” Dickens Panel, MLA, Seattle, January 2011
- “Senile Sexuality,” Keynote speaker, The Cultural Politics of Ageing in the Nineteenth Century: Interdisciplinary Perspectives, University of Regensburg (Germany), November 2011
- “Whose/Who is Jane Eyre? A New Look” William and Mary, April 14, 2011
- “Usury Re-used: Two (or more) Scrooges in Our Time,” MLA, Los Angeles, January 2011
- “Dickensian Adaptations,” guest lecture, Literature and Economics, February 17, 2011
- The Diane Rehm Show: “Charles Dickens’s A Tale of Two Cities,” October 20, 2010 (WAMU 88.5 FM)
- “The Ghosts of Dickens’s Carol” (with Michael Levenson), Dickens Society Conference, Aix-en-Provence, France, June 3-5, 2010
- “Dickensian Economics,” University of Sichuan, China, May 25, 2010
- “Wishes are Children”: Inheriting the Future According to George Eliot,” Interdisciplinary Nineteeenth-Century Studies Conference, University of Texas at Austin, March 25-28, 2010
- “Dickensian Fidgets” (with Michael Levenson), Annual Dickens Society Symposium, Providence College, August 6-9, 2009
- “‘Happiness is not a potato’: The Victorian Cultivation of Happiness,” Interdisciplinary Nineteenth-Century Studies Conference, ‘The Pursuit of Happiness,’ Skidmore College, April 24-26, 2009
- “Objects and Subjects: The Aging ‘I’ Among Ancient Groves,” CUNY Graduate Center, New York, May 1, 2008
- “Growning Old in the Nineteenth Century – A Science of Terrors,” Cambridge University, March 6, 2007
- “Faces and Spaces: Locating Age in Dickens’s London,” King’s College, London, February 26, 2007
- “Who’s/Whose Jane Eyre,” Keynote Speaker, opening of the Rare Book School Exhibition, “Heir Apparent; An Exhibition Celebrating Bronte's
Classic Novel” Rotunda and RBS, December 9, 2005
- Panel Chair: “Generations II: Elders” NAVSA Conference, University of Virginia, October 2005 Contemporary Fiction in Context: Writing the Immigrant Experience, Teaching Initiative, Virginia Beach, August 15-16, 2005 (With Michael Levenson)
- “Paper Traces; Dickens, Mayhew and the Circulation of Waste,” (with Michael Levenson) London, Monuments and Dust Annual Symposium, June 28, 2004
- “The Fixed Period,” Modern Language Association December 2003
- “Body Shock: What to Do with the Dying?” (with Michael Levenson), Modern Language Association, December 2003
- “Where to Breathe in Gissing’s London,” (with Michael Levenson) London, Monuments and Dust Annual Symposium, July 9-10, 2003
- “Country Mouse and the City of Cats: Dickensian Age in the Heart of Mid-London” (with Michael Levenson) London, Monuments and Dust Annual Symposium, July 16-17, 2002
- “Ha Jin’s The Bridegroom: Stories,” Literature From the Pacific Rim, Teaching Initiative, Virginia Beach, March 15-16, 2002
- “Close Readings,” Panel on Pedagogy, University of Virginia, November 16, 2001
- “London Through the Aged,” (with Michael Levenson)Annual Conference -- Dickens Society, Roanoke, Va., October 12-14, 2001
- Panel Chair, Crystal Palace, Locating the Victorians Conference, London, July 12-15, 2001
- “Mayhew’s palace,” (with Michael Levenson), London, Monuments and Dust Annual Symposium, July 10-11, 2001
- “Crystal palace in a Muddy London” (with Michael Levenson), Conference on ‘The Great Exhibition’, CUNY, May 2001
- “Teaching Fiction,” Teaching Literature Series, University of Virginia, Department of English, November 3, 2000
- “The Place of Age,” (with Michael Levenson), London, Monuments and Dust Annual Symposium, July 3, 2000
- “Student Performance in the Classroom,” (with Michael Levenson) Conference on Teaching, Curry School of Education, University of Virginia, January 2000
- Moderator, “Victorian Spectacles and Spectators,” Millennial Histories and Prophecies: Literary Truth and Scientific Method, Graduate Student Conference, University of Virginia, April, 2000
- “The One-Room Solution: Architectural Designs of Robert Kerr,” (with Michael Levenson), Monuments and Dust: The Culture of Victorian London, July 1999
- “Oliver Twist’s London,” guest lecture, The Culture of London Program, Regent’s College, London, June 1999
- “The Aging Queen and the Youth of Culture,” (with Michael Levenson), Modern Language Association, December 1998
- “The Crystal Palace, plc; or How a Prince Married His Public and Reinvented a Nation” (with Michael Levenson), Conference on Victorian Collaborations, Graduate Center, CUNY, May 1998
- "The Dying Wife, The Strolling Bloomer and the Nightingale: Pleasures as Perils at the Victorian Fireside," (with Michael Levenson), University of Warwick, December 1996
- "Caroline Norton: A Woman's Poet," Re-Thinking Woman's Poetry Conference, Birkbeck College, July 1995
- "Caroline Norton, The Prime Minister, and the Press," Modern Language Association, December 1994
- "Was That An Angel in the House? Rethinking Victorian Domesticity," (with Michael Levenson), Faculty Colloquium, University of Virginia, Fall 1993
- "The English Gentleman's House," (with Michael Levenson), Union College, Fall 1992
- "The Problem of Reputation in George Eliot's Middlemarch," Union College, Fall 1992
- "Middlemarch and the Victorians," Union College, Fall 1992
- "Studies in Dostoevsky's The Brother's Karamazov," Monroe Hill College, guest lecturer 3 weeks, Spring 1992
- "After Incest: Family Structure in the Victorian Novel," Modern Language Association annual convention, 1986
- "Propriety, Madness, Independence: The Goals of Feminist Literary History" Conference on Feminist Criticism, University of Virginia, September 1986
- "Literalism as Heroism in George Gissing," Modern Language Association annual convention, 1983
- "Subjects and Objects: A Study in Bronte's Villette"(with Michael Levenson) Modern Language Association annual convention, 1977
- Co-Editor, Virginia Victorian Studies Series, The University Press of Virginia, 1990-2000
- Chair, Board of Directors, The University Press of Virginia, 1992-3
- Member, Board of Directors, The University Press of Virginia, 1989-1993
- Trustee, The Dickens Society, 1989-1991
- Editorial board, Victorians Institute Journal
- IMP Society Faculty Award for Most Distinguished Teaching, 2001
- Cavalier Chair of Distinguished Teaching, 2000
- Lamont Professor of Ancient and Modern Literature, Union College, Fall 1992