202C Bryan Hall
Office Hours: Fall 2020 Virtual Office Hours: Mondays and Thursdays 4:00-5:30 PM. Please email me (sda2e) to set up an appointment.
19th C British, 20th C British, Modernism, History and Theory of the Novel
- Ph.D. Chicago 1990
- M.A. William & Mary 1984
- B.A. William & Mary 1980
- Fictions of Loss in the Victorian Fin de Siècle, Cambridge University Press, 1996
- A Companion to the English Novel, Wiley-Blackwell, 2015
- Stevenson and Conrad (co-edited with Linda Dryden and Eric Massie), Texas Tech University Press, 2009
- H.G. Wells The Time Machine, W.W. Norton & Company, Inc., 2008
- George Gissing New Grub Street , Broadview Press, 2007
- William Morris News from Nowhere , Broadview Press, 2002
- The New Edinburgh Edition of the Collected Works of Robert Louis Stevenson (General Co-Editor with Richard Dury, Penny Fielding, and Anthony Mandal), 39 volumes, Edinburgh University Press (Editor). Five volumes published, three due in 2019-20.
- A History of the English Novel (Blackwell, forthcoming)
"Form," Victorian Literature and Culture 46:3-4 (Fall/Winter 2018).
"Literature and Information," PMLA 130.3 (May 2015): 673-678
“Some Versions of Form,” in A Companion to the English Novel, ed. Stephen Arata, J. Paul Hunter, and Jennifer Wicke (Blackwell, 2015): 192-208.
“George Meredith,” Encyclopedia of Victorian Literature, ed. Dino Franco Felluga, Pamela K. Gilbert, and Linda K. Hughes (Blackwell, 2015).
“Decadent Form,” ELH 81.3 (Fall 2014): 1007-1028.
“On E. W. Lane’s Edition of The Arabian Nights’ Entertainments, 1838.” BRANCH: Britain, Representation and Nineteenth-Century History. Ed. Dino Franco Felluga. Extension of Romanticism and Victorianism on the Net. (http://www.branchcollective.org/). 2012.
- “The Victorian Fin de Siècle,” in New Cambridge History of English Literature: The Victorian Period, ed. Kate Flint (Cambridge University Press, 2012): 124-147.
- “Rhyme, Rhythm, and the Materiality of Poetry,” Victorian Studies 53: 3 (Spring 2011): 518-526.
- “The Impersonal Intimacy of Marius the Epicurean,” Feeling Victorian Reading, ed. Rachel Ablow and David Kurnick (University of Michigan Press, 2010): 131-156.
- “Stevenson and Fin-de-Siècle Gothic,” in Companion to Robert Louis Stevenson, ed. Penny Fielding (Edinburgh University Press, 2010): 53-69.
- “Stevenson’s Close Observances,” Romanticism and Victorianism on the Net 47 (August 2007). http://www.ron.umontreal.ca
- "Late-Victorian Realism," in Cambridge Companion to the Fin de Siècle, ed. Gail Marshall (Cambridge University Press, 2007: 165-188.
- "On Not Paying Attention," Victorian Studies 46 (2004): 193-205.
- "Oscar Wilde and Jesus Christ," in Wilde Writings, Contextual Conditions, ed. Joseph Bristow (University of Toronto Press, (2002): 254-72.
Selected Recent Lectures and Conferences
“Decadent Form,” Keynote Address, Victorian Studies Association of Ontario (Toronto, Ontario), April 2014.
“Some Versions of Form,” Invited Lecture, University of Alabama (Tuscaloosa, AL), April 2014.
“The Modernity of the 1880s,” Keynote Address, Symposium on “British Writing in the 1880s: Literary History’s Uncertain Decade,” University of Edinburgh (Edinburgh, Scotland), March 2012.
- “Decadent Form,” Keynote Address, Conference on “Decadent Poetics” organized by the Centre for Victorian Studies, University of Exeter (Exeter, UK), July 2011.
- “Printed Talk: Close Reading ‘Of King’s Treasuries’,” North American Victorian Studies Association Conference (Montreal, Quebec), November 2010.
- “Realism, Limited,” Conference on “The Novel and Its Borders” organized by The Centre for the Novel (Aberdeen, Scotland), July 2008.
- “The Impersonal Intimacy of Marius the Epicurean,” Modern Language Association Convention (Chicago, IL), December 2007.
- “Singing Fire: Walter Pater and the Secrets of Consciousness,” Victorians Institute Conference (Tuscaloosa, AL), November 2007.
- “Imperial Aestheticism,” Plenary Speaker, International Conference on Nation and Identity in Nineteenth- and Twentieth-Century Literature in English, Universidad Católica San Antonio de Murcia (Murcia, Spain), September 2007.
- “Hard, Gem-like Flames,” North American Victorian Studies Association Conference (Toronto, ON), October 2004.