How to Declare the English Major/Minor

The College of Arts and Sciences has moved their major/minor declaration process online. 

To declare your major, take the following steps:

1. Secure the College's form for declaring the major, available through DocuSign here Please enter Susan Fraiman (, the Director of Undergraduate Studies, as the DMC, or Department major contact.

2. Complete the form according to the English major course guidelines, listed here.  Courses you've already completed should be listed at the top.  It's acceptable to write a placeholder for a requirement on the course plan instead of a specific course, i.e. "ENGL 3000+ Pre-1700 Literature Course" instead of "ENGL 3271 Shakespeare: Histories & Comedies."

3. The DUS will approve your form (getting back to you with corrections, if necessary) and assign you to a major advisor. When selecting an advisor, the DUS is happy to consider emailed requests specifying a particular faculty member or area of interest (e.g., modern poetry, gender studies, Shakespeare, teaching).

4. Meet or talk with the DUS or your English faculty advisor to discuss your proposed course of study.


Students declaring the minor should use the same form, there is a check box on the form to indicate that it is a minor declaration instead.  The requirements for the English minor are listed here.